News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What if I Disagree With My Value?

Post Date:04/03/2019 9:16 AM

If you’ve looked at your new assessed value and think “I could never sell it for that amount!” you have two appeal options. The first option is to contact our office and request and informal review with our staff. The second is to file an appeal with the Mason City Board of Review.

An informal review is an opportunity to meet with our office and discuss your property with our staff, as well as provide any information that may not have been considered in the determination of your assessed value. If these discussions lead us to mutually agree upon a value change, we’ll both sign a document that will authorize the change. This appeal option can be used until April 25th, however if an agreement is not reached by the end of the business day, you may choose to appeal to the Board of Review.

Appealing to the Mason City Board of Review is a more formal process, and you will be required to submit an application to be considered by the Board. When filing the appeal, you may either submit written evidence to be considered, or you may choose to appear in person at your hearing to state your case. The Board will make a determination based on the evidence you submit, and you will receive notice of their decision at the end of their session. Appeals must be filed with the Board no later than April 30th to be considered.

Whichever option you choose, the more information you provide, the better chance you have for an assessment change. Properties in Iowa are required to be assessed at market value, and recent sales of similar properties are the strongest evidence of market value. All sales in Mason City are available on our Beacon Real Estate Search page. Simply pull up your property record by name, address or parcel number. At the bottom of the page, you will be able to run a report for recent sales in your neighborhood, or even by a set distance from your house.

Some Iowa counties have been declared a federal disaster area and have an extended appeal application deadline. Mason City is not located in one of those declared counties and the extended deadline does not apply here. If you have any questions about your assessment or your appeal options, please contact our office.